Understanding Child Protection Mediation for Aboriginal Families

This fact sheet has information in plain language about child protection mediation, how it can help Aboriginal families, and how to find a mediator.

If a social worker from the ministry (or an Aboriginal delegated agency) contacts you to ask you questions about your family — or removes your child from your home — you have rights:

  • You have the right to get a lawyer. Call Legal Aid immediately to find out if you qualify for a free lawyer.
  • You have the right to be involved in decisions about your child. A mediator can help you work with the ministry.

Mediators are professionals who are specially trained to help people reach an agreement. They are also trained to not take sides.

See also: Understanding Aboriginal Child Protection/Removal Matters, Understanding Delegated Aboriginal Agencies, Understanding Court Orders and Hearings, Understanding the Extended Family Program.

Find out more about Aboriginal legal rights in BC on the Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC website.

This publication is in clear language for people who don't know about the law.

Read this publication in...

Order from Crown Publications in...