Legal representation by a lawyer
We will pay for a lawyer to represent you if:
- your legal problem is covered by our legal aid rules (see below for the list of coverage areas),
- you meet our financial guidelines, and
- you have no other way of getting legal help.
Legal problems that may be covered by legal aid include:
- criminal charges,
- mental health and prison issues,
- serious family problems,
- child protection matters, and
- immigration problems.
To find out what to expect from your legal aid contract, see Working with Your Legal Aid Lawyer.